SSC (Staff Selection Commission) has released the SSC exam calendar for the year 2018-19, stating the important dates for various examinations and the completion of various procedures. According to the calendar, this year’s SSC CGL recruitment notification would be released on April 21,2018 with the online application form being released two-three days later.The exam is split into 4 tiers.The candidates would have to clear Tier 1 to appear for Tier 2 and 3.Tier 4- is applicable only to a few posts.
SSC CGL Exam
- 1 SSC CGL Exam
- 2 Job Opportunities
- 3 SSC CGL 2018 – Eligibility
- 4 SSC CGL 2018- Online Application Procedures
- 5 SSC CGL 2018 – Important Dates
- 6 SSC CGL 2018 – Exam Pattern
- 7 How to prepare for SSC CGL Exam 2018
SSC is short for “Staff Selection Commission” which is responsible for the recruitment of employees to various posts in the government sector by conducting suitable examinations.Every year SSC conducts exams at various levels like CGL, CHSL, MTS, Sub Inspector, Section Officer and Junior Engineer Exam.
SSC CGL stands for “Combined Graduate Level” and is one the most highly reputed government job examinations in India.The exam is conducted for recruiting candidates to various government departments. Every year the number people appearing for the exam keeps on increasing and in the year 2017,30 lakh, people applied.
Out of the 30 – 40 lakh candidates who appear for the exam every year, usually only 15-20 Lakh candidates make it to the second stage.Only those who clear Tier 2 and 3, make it to the list. Depending on post applied, Tier 4 may or may not be conducted. The result of Tier 3 and 4 are released together and based on that recruitment takes place.The various posts are shown below
|A||Assistant Audit Officer
Assistant Accounts Officer
|B||Assistant Section Officer
Assistant Section Officer(Intelligence Bureau)
Assistant Section Officer (Railway)
Assistant Section Officer (Railway)
Assistant Section Officer (External Affairs)
Assistant Section Officer (AFHQ)
Assistant (Other Ministries)
Inspector of Income Tax
Inspector (Central Excise) -CBEC
Inspector (Preventive Officer) -CBEC
Inspector (Examiner) -CBEC
Assistant Enforcement Officer (Dept. of Revenue)
Inspector of post (Dept. of Post)
Divisional Accountant (Under C & AG)
|C||Junior Statistical Officer (Statistics)||4200|
Auditor (Under C & AG)
Auditor (Under CGDA)
Auditor (Under CGA & Others)
Accountant/ Jr. Accountant (Under C & AG)
Accountant/ Jr. Accountant (Under CGA & Others)
Senior Secretariat Assistant (Central govt. offices)
Tax Assistant (CBDT)
Tax Assistant (CBEC)
Upper Division Clerks (Border road org.)
*Salary according to Grade pay(approx) : 1) 4800 – 46,700 , 2) 4600 – 44,900, 3) 4200 -35,400, 4)2800 – 29,200, 5) 2400 – 25,500
SSC CGL 2018 – Eligibility
The eligibility criteria for SSC CGL varies depending on the post applied. The various criteria are shown below:
- The candidate should be an Indian citizen
- Age Limit: The age limit is different for different posts.
|21 – 27||Intelligence Bureau Assistant Post|
|Maximum 30||Assistant Audit Officer
Assistant Enforcement Officer
|Up to 32||Statistical Investigator Gr. II|
- Qualifications: The qualification requirements vary according to the SSC CGL post as follows:
|SSC CGL Post||Educational Qualification|
|Assistant Audit Officer||Bachelor’s Degree in any subject from a recognized university
Masters in Commerce/
Masters in Business Studies
|Statistical Investigator Grade -II Post||Bachelor’s Degree in any subject from a recognized university with minimum 60% in Mathematics in Class 12th
Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline with Statistics as one of the subjects in graduation.
|Compiler Posts||Bachelor’s Degree in any subject from a recognized university with Economics or Statistics or Mathematics as compulsory or Elective Subject.|
|All Other Posts||Bachelor’s Degree in any subject from a recognized university|
SSC CGL 2018- Online Application Procedures
The procedures to be followed to apply for the application form are as follows:
- Register on the SSC CGL Website through a valid email ID.
- Payment for the exam is done online using Debit Card/Credit Card/Internet Banking/Wallets.
- Download a copy of scanned photograph & signature for future requirements.
- Click Submit button for application form submission.
- Now take the print out of the application form.
SSC CGL 2018 – Important Dates
|21 April to 25 May 2018||Online registration||To apply for an application form.|
|25 July to 20 August 2018||SSC CGL Tier- 1 Exam Date||Online Examination (Objective MCQs)|
|TBA*||SSC CGL tier -1 admit card download and tier -1 results||The date to download the admit card for tier -1 and the date of publishing tier -1 exams will be announced later|
|27 November to 30 November 2018||SSC CGL tier -2 Exam||Online Examination (Objective MCQs).Only those who clear tier -1 are eligible to appear for tier -2 exam.|
|TBA*||SSC CGL tier -2 admit card download and tier -2 results||The date to download the admit card for tier -2 and the date of publishing tier -2 exams will be announced later|
|TBA*||SSC CGL tier -3 Exam||Descriptive Paper in English/Hindi (writing of Essay/Precis/Letter/Application Writing).Only those who clear tier -2 will have their tier -3 answer sheets evaluated.|
|TBA*||SSC CGL tier -4 Exam||Computer Proficiency Test/ Skill Test (wherever applicable)/Document Verification.Applicable only for certain posts|
*TBA -To Be Announced
SSC CGL 2018 – Exam Pattern
|SSC CGL Tier -1||Tier 1 exam is an online objective type MCQ exam consists of 100 questions with total marks of 200. There are 4 sections (Reasoning, Quantitative Aptitude, English Language and General Awareness), each section having 25 questions||Each question carries 2 marks giving a total of 200 marks with negative marking of -0.5 being awarded for incorrect answers.
Duration: 60 minutes
|SSC CGL tier -2||There will be 2 sections
||In Quantitative Aptitude Section,each question carries 2 marks(total -200 marks)
In General English Section,each question carries 1 mark(total -200 marks)
Duration:2 hours for each section
|SSC CGL tier -3||It would be a descriptive paper in Hindi/English.||Maximum marks would be 100
Duration: 60 minutes
|SSC CGL tier -4||Computer Proficiency Test
(for the post of Assistant Section
Officer in CSS & MEA only)
How to prepare for SSC CGL Exam 2018
SSC CGL is one of the most sought after examinations in India and its immense popularity makes it even more difficult for candidates to score a good rank. This makes it all the more important to prepare beforehand itself for the examination. If you haven’t started preparing yet,it’s not too late to start.Here are some tips on how to crack the exam.
- Know the exam pattern and syllabus: The exam pattern and syllabus keeps changing every year, thus making it extremely important for students to stay updated. It would be advised that students download the syllabus or keep a print of it so that they can easily refer to it and prepare accordingly.It is important to know the topics and to give more importance to the main topics. Time management is yet another skill that students need to develop while preparing for the exam.
- Get the required reference books: Students must know which are the right guidebooks for them. Choosing the books with the right guidelines is extremely crucial for the exam preparations. If one can’t find the required book, they could download it from the internet.
- Previous years question papers: Previous years question papers can give students an idea about the difficulty level of the exam and which topics should be given more emphasis.Previous years question papers are available here
- Practice mock tests- Practicing mock tests would help students prepare accordingly and improve their problem solving skills.They also learn to manage time accordingly so that they don’t run out of time during the main exam.It also gives them an idea about their weak subjects. Practice mock tests are available on Entri. Log in here to know more.
Entri is an award-winning online platform which helps students to prepare for various competitive examinations and keeps them updated on various exam schedules.Practice question papers and mock tests for Kerala PSC, SSC CHSL, SSC CGL, IIT JEE Mains, NEET, KEAM and Comedk are available for students to know where they stand and prepare accordingly.Doubt forums are also made available to students to provide a platform for them to interact with experts and clear all their doubts and queries.A suitable app to help you stand out in various competitions.