- 1 What is Kerala Administrative Service?
- 2 Eligibility and Age Limit for KAS Exam 2019
- 3 Structure of KAS Exam 2019
- 4 Kerala Administrative Service Exam Syllabus 2019
Prolonged and extended discussion and debates on conducting Kerala Administrative Service (KAS) Examination had come to an end. With the long wait coming to an end, State Cabinet has decided to conduct the Kerala Administrative Service Exam on the lines of Civil Services like IAS. This has been introduced to address the shortage of officials. KAS exam notification will be out soon and many numbers of people are anticipated to apply for the upcoming exam. This article will take a stroll through the expected Kerala Administrative Service Exam Syllabus and exam pattern of the KAS exam.
What is Kerala Administrative Service?
Before discussing the exam patterns and syllabus let’s make sure that you get a clear idea as to what exactly is Kerala Administrative Service. As people are very well informed on how UPSC conducts the Civil Sevice examination, KAS is being conducted in the state Kerala in the same lines but conducted by the Kerala Public Service Commission. It came into force on January 2018. It is a very prestigious and dynamic examination of India.
Once the candidate cracks the exam, along with the interview he/she will be entitled to a class 1 service post. The selected candidates will be posted or eligible to get posted to the second grade Gazetted Officer (Junior Time Scale), in various departments like public administration and finance department of Kerala Government. KAS officers will be appointed based on four phases or streams.
- Junior Time Scale
- Senior Time Scale ( Regular Government Employees)
- Selection Grade Scale
- Super Time Grade Scale.
Usually, Kerala Public Service Commission conducts KAS exam once in a year but in certain situations, taking into account the current scenario and pertaining to the vacancies available they can also conduct the KAS exam once in two years.
Eligibility and Age Limit for KAS Exam 2019
- Any aspirant or candidate of KAS exam can apply to the exam only if he/she has completed his/her bachelor degree from any stream or anything equivalent.
- Next, the important thing to take an account of is the age limit mentioned.
- For General Category and to the Stream 1 KAS officers( Junior time scale) must not have completed 32 years of age on 1st January of the applying year.
- Age Relaxation will be granted for SC/ST to 5 years and for OBC 3 years.
- Direct Stream II KAS officers shall not have completed 40 years of age on 1st January of the applying year.
- The transfer appointments candidates who are enrolled in Gazetted posts in Government Offices or equivalent should not have completed 50 years of age on 1st January of the applying year.
Structure of KAS Exam 2019
The KAS exam 2019 will be conducted under three tires. Two written and one interview. The written ones will be of
In a basic level test or Preliminary level test, one will have two papers to attend comprising of 100 marks each. The mode of examination will be of objective type (OMR). Both the examinations will be conducted on the same day and the duration of the exam will be 75 minutes. As pointed out earlier, candidates who have a bachelor degree are the ones who are eligible to appear for the exam.
Those who successfully get a pass at the preliminary level will be called for the Mains.
The Mains which would be of a highly advanced with the prescribed syllabus will consist of three papers mainly. Three papers with 150 marks each and a total of 450 marks combined. Those will be mainly from Science Subjects, Humanities and Kerala Current affairs and history. All three exams will be descriptive in nature.
Face to Face Interview
The third part of the exam will be the interview. Those who ace the mains will be shortlisted for a face to face interview. It will follow the same method and procedure of the Civil Service Interview Procedure, with experts coming over. But it is not a piece of cake as this level alone comprises of 50 marks.
Kerala Administrative Service Exam Syllabus 2019
While we analyzed the exam pattern above, the syllabus is in accordance respective to each tier. Since the KPSC has not officially announced its syllabus the following ones will be the expected genre.
Preliminary Exam Syllabus
- Indian History, Geography, and Economy
- The constitution and Polity
- Everyday Science-Chemistry, Biology, Physics, and Environment
- Computer and Cyber Law
- Facts about India
- Facts about Kerala
- Kerala History, Geography, Economy, and Renaissance
- Social Welfare Programmes
- Current Affairs
- Test of Reasoning
- Agreement of Subject and Verb
- Idioms and their meanings
- Gender etc
Malayalam (Regional Language)
- Current Affairs
- Books and Authors and Awards
- Literature etc
The Mains will have its exam conducted in several parts. However, it is unlikely to have an optional paper like it does in the Civil Service because KAS is a particular state concerned exam with its regional language.
The following are the subjects that are expected to ask:
- General Knowledge – Descriptive
- Current Affairs – Descriptive
- General Essay- To be written in English
- General Essay- Malayalam related
- Report Writing, Comprehension. Precis, Translation can also be expected
The face-to-face interview is the end of the road that you will have to pass with confidence and with personality at its best. Panels comprising subject matter experts and delegates will hold the interview. The main aim of the interview is to find out his personality and assessing his/her skills required for a prestigious Government job. Following qualities might be asses mostly in the interview:
- Judgment skills
- Power of Thinking Independently
- Analytical Skills
- Positive Thinking
- Trouble Shooting Skill
If you succeed the Mains half the job is done but Interview is not an easy step. If prepared and appeared confident in yourself it will be much more comforting for you. However, the interview part will only comprise 20% of what the Mains are.
TO get the subject matter expert help, follow more from Entri and get proper guidance and mock tests.