Are you preparing for any competitive exams like PSC, SSC, RRB or Banking? Then it is important to stay updated and aware of the daily news happening around the world. Current affair is an important topic coming on all competitive exams like Kerala PSC, SSC, RRB, Banking etc. Aspirants should learn current affairs on a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly basis. In this article, you will find current affairs happened from April 14 to April 20,2019.
Saudi Arabia to host the G20 summit in 2020
- Saudi Arabia announced it will host the G20 summit in November 2020 in the capital Riyadh.
- It will be the first G20 meeting in the Arab world will be held in November 2020.Japan will host this year’s G20 summit in Osaka, which will be held June 28-29.
- In 2018, the conference was held in Buenos Aries, Argentina.The G20 is made up of 19 of the world’s biggest economies, as well as the European Union. It was formed in 1999 to discuss policy matters and financial stability.
India rebuilds Chhyoiphel Kundeling monastery in Nepal
- India has rebuilt Chhyoiphel Kundeling Monastery in Nepal.
- The Monastery has been reconstructed with Government of India grant of 18.9 million Nepalese rupees.
- The Chhyoiphel Kundeling Monastery was established in 1946 with the active initiation and contribution of Lisankhu villagers.
Book on Jallianwala Bagh poem ‘Khooni Vaisakhi’ released in UAE
- A book containing English translation of the 100-year-old classic Punjabi poem about Jallianwala Bagh massacre, ‘Khooni Vaisakhi’ has been released in Abu Dhabi.
- India’s Ambassador to the UAE Navdeep Singh Suri commended the launch of the book, saying the ballad is now reaching a global audience.
- The poem was translated by Mr Suri whose grandfather, revolutionary poet and novelist Nanak Singh, a Jallianwala Bagh survivor, wrote it after witnessing first-hand the events of April 13, 1919.
- The book was also released in New Delhi on April 13, marking 100 years since the Jallianwala Bagh massacre that took place in Amritsar.
NASA detects Universe’s first molecule in space
- Scientists have detected the most ancient type of molecule in our universe in space for the first time ever.
- Helium hydride ion (HeH+) was the first molecule that formed when falling temperatures in the young universe allowed recombination of the light elements produced in the Big Bang.
- At that time, ionised hydrogen and neutral helium atoms reacted to form HeH+.
Mali’s PM Soumeylow Boubeye Maiga resigns
- Mali’s Prime Minister Soumeylou Boubeye Maiga has resigned along with his whole government.
- He has resigned following a motion of no confidence over its failure to handle violence in the West African country.
- Legislators had discussed a possible motion of no confidence in the government because of last month’s massacre and failure to disarm militias.
Gangandeep Kang is the first Indian woman scientist to be elected Royal Society Fellow
- Kang is a leading scientist in India and her main research focus is on viral infections in children and the testing of rotavirus vaccines.
- Kang currently serves as the executive director of the Translational Health Science and Technology Institute (THSTI), Faridabad.
- Fellowship of the Society is one of the most coveted honours in the scientific world and some of history’s greatest scientists like Isaac Newton (1672), Charles Darwin, Albert Einstein (1921), were associated with it.
Jaideep Sarkar appointed as India’s next High Commissioner to South Africa
- Jaideep Sarkar has been appointed as India’s next High Commissioner to South Africa.
- Sarkar, a 1987-batch Indian Foreign Service officer, is currently serving as India’s ambassador in Bhutan.
- He served in Indian Missions in Tokyo, Seoul and Bangladesh as well.The government also appointed Suhel Ajaz Khan, presently serving as India’s Deputy Chief of Mission in Saudi Arabia, as the next Ambassador to Lebanon.
Sri Lanka’s 1st satellite ‘Raavana-1’ launched into space
- Sri Lanka’s first satellite ‘Raavana-1’ was launched into space from NASA’s Flight Facility on Virginia’s east shore.
- ‘Raavana 1’ weights around 1.05 kg and the lifespan of the satellite is around one and a half years.
- The launch marks Sri Lanka’s entry into the global space age.The satellite was designed and built at the Kyushu Institute of Technology in Japan by two Sri Lankan research engineers.
Historic Mujibnagar day being observed in Bangladesh
- The historic Mujibnagar day was observed on 17 April in Bangladesh.The day marks the oath taking ceremony of Bangladesh’s first government in 1971 at Baidyanathtala in Meherpur.
- On this day in 1971, senior leaders of the liberation movement of Bangladesh had assembled at Baidyanathtala to form the provisional government of independent Bangladesh.
- Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman was declared the President in absentia as he was arrested and flown to Pakistan after the Pakistan military crackdown on the then ‘East Pakistan’ on the night of March 25, 1971.
The New York Times, Wall Street Journal awarded Pulitzer Prizes
- The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal were awarded Pulitzer Prizes for their separate investigations of President Donald Trump and his family.
- The South Florida Sun Sentinel won the Pulitzer for public service for its coverage of failings by school and law enforcement officials before and after the February 2018 massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
- The Associated Press won a Pulitzer for international reporting for its coverage of the war in Yemen.Reuters was honoured for international reporting for its coverage of atrocities committed against Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar.
Entri is an award-winning online platform which helps students to prepare for various competitive examinations and keeps them updated on various exam schedules. Practice question papers and mock tests for Kerala PSC, SSC CHSL, SSC CGL, IIT JEE Mains, NEET, KEAM, and Comedk are available for students to know where they stand and prepare accordingly. Doubt forums are also made available to students to provide a platform for them to interact with experts and clear all their doubts and queries. A suitable app to help you stand out in various competitions.