Are you preparing for any competitive exams like PSC, SSC, RRB or Banking? Then it is important to stay updated and aware of the daily news happening around the world. Current affair is an important topic coming on all competitive exams like Kerala PSC, SSC, RRB, Banking etc. Aspirants should learn current affairs on a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly basis. In this article, you will find current affairs happened from April 21 to April 27,2019.
Asian Athletics Championship concluded
- India bagged four medals, including a Gold, on the final day of the Asian Athletics Championships at Doha.PU Chitra successfully defended her Women’s 1,500 metres Gold she had won in 2017.
- India ended at the fourth spot in the medals tally with 3 Gold, 7 Silver and 7 Bronze.
- Bahrain topped the table with 11 Gold, 7 Silver and 4 Bronze.China was second with 10 Gold, 13 Silver and 7 Bronze.India had won 29 medals – 12 Gold, 5 Silver and 12 Bronze in the last edition in Bhubaneswar in 2017, topping the medal tally for the first time.
Indian Coast Guard Vessel C-441 commissioned
- A new Coast Guard vessel C- 441 has been commissioned at Vizhinjam harbour in Kerala.Indian Coast Guard Ship C- 441 is capable to undertake multifarious tasks such as close coast surveillance, interdiction, search and rescue and rendering assistance to boats in distress at sea.
- It will enhance the search and rescue capacity of Kerala seas.The ship is commanded by Assistant Commandant Amit K Choudhary and has 13 crew onboard with specialisation in various fields.
World Book Day 2019: 23 April
- World Book Day is celebrated by UNESCO and other related organisations every year on the 23rd of April.Also called the World Book and Copyright Day, it is an occasion to promote the joy of books and the art of reading.
- 23rd April was selected by UNESCO to pay tribute to great literary figures including William Shakespeare, Miguel Cervantes and Inca Garcilaso de la Vega who died on this day.
- This date was finalised in the year 1995 in the UNESCO General Conference, held in Paris, to honour authors and books worldwide.
Indonesia releases special stamp on the theme of Ramayana
- Indonesia has released a special commemorative stamp on the theme of Ramayana to mark the 70th anniversary of the establishment of its diplomatic ties with India.The stamp has been designed by renowned Indonesian sculptor Padmashri Bapak Nyoman Nuarta.
- It featured a scene from Ramayana in which Jatayu valiantly fought to save Sita.
- India’s Ambassador Pradeep Kumar Rawat and Indonesia’s Vice Foreign Minister Abdurrahman Mohammad Fachir attended the event.
NASA astronaut to set a record for the longest spaceflight by a woman
- NASA astronaut Christina Koch is going to have her mission on the International Space Station (ISS) extended to 328 days.This would set a record for the longest single spaceflight by a woman.
- Koch arrived at the space station on March 14 and now is scheduled to remain in orbit until February 2020.She will eclipse the record of 288 days set by former NASA astronaut Peggy Whitson in 2016-17.
- The longest single spaceflight by a NASA astronaut is 340 days, set by former NASA astronaut Scott Kelly during his one-year mission in 2015-16.
Malayalam film “Bhayanakam” wins best cinematography award at Beijing International Film Festival
- Malayalam film “Bhayanakam” (Fear) directed by Jayaraj won the best cinematography award at the Beijing International Film Festival.The cinematography was done by Nikihil S Praveen.
- The film had also won the best cinematography award at the 65th National Film Awards.
- The film portrays the visits of first World War veteran to a small village in the backwaters of Kerala’s Kuttanand as a postman during the World War-II.
Earth Day 2019: 22 April
- Earth Day is an annual event celebrated on April 22.
- Worldwide, various events are held to demonstrate support for environmental protection.
- It was first celebrated in 1970, now this event includes events in more than 193 countries.Theme: ‘Protect Our Species’.
Services lift Santosh Trophy
- In Football, the Services lifted the Santosh Trophy, beating Punjab 1-0l in the final at Ludhiana.
- In the first half, both the teams were goal-less. In the second half, Services scored the lone goal and held on till the final whistle.
- The only goal in the match was scored by Bikash Thapa in the 61st-minute.
Civil Services Day: 21 April
- The Civil Service Day is celebrated on 21 April every year.
- The purpose of this day is to rededicate and recommit themselves to the cause of the people.
- On this occasion, all officers of Central and State Governments are honoured for excellence in public administration by the Prime Minister of India.
Bhopal gas tragedy among the world’s major industrial accidents of the 20th century: UN
- The 1984 Bhopal gas tragedy which killed thousands of people is among the world’s “major industrial accidents” of the 20th century according to a UN report.
- UN warned that 2.78 million workers die from occupational accidents and work-related diseases each year.
- The report released by the UN labour agency International Labour Organization (ILO) said that in 1984, at least 30 tons of methyl isocyanate gas, which was released from the Union Carbide pesticide plant in Bhopal, affected over 600,000 workers and nearby inhabitants.
- The report titled ‘The Safety and Health at the Heart of the Future of Work – Building on 100 years of experience’ said the Bhopal disaster was among the world’s “major industrial accidents after 1919”.
Entri is an award-winning online platform which helps students to prepare for various competitive examinations and keeps them updated on various exam schedules. Practice question papers and mock tests for Kerala PSC, SSC CHSL, SSC CGL, IIT JEE Mains, NEET, KEAM, and Comedk are available for students to know where they stand and prepare accordingly. Doubt forums are also made available to students to provide a platform for them to interact with experts and clear all their doubts and queries. A suitable app to help you stand out in various competitions.