Are you preparing for any competitive exams like PSC, SSC, RRB or Banking? Then it is important to stay updated and aware of the daily news happening around the world. Current affair is an important topic coming on all competitive exams like Kerala PSC, SSC, RRB, Banking etc. Aspirants should learn current affairs on a daily, weekly, monthly and yearly basis. In this article, you will find current affairs happened from February 17 to
Weekly Current Affairs Updated for Kerala PSC,TNPSC,KPSC,SSC,RRB and Banking (February 17 – February 23,2019 ) :
1.Australian small brown rat becomes World’s first mammal to go extinct due to climate change
- A small brown rat of bramble cay
melomysspecies lived on a tiny island of northern Australia and becomes the world’s first mammal to have become extinct due to “human-induced climate change”.
- It was found only on a small sand island near the coast of Papua New Guinea.
- The rat was not seen since 2009 and scientist thought that the mammal might have become extinct in 2014
2. 70th Strandja Memorial Tournament held in Sofia, Bulgaria
- 70th International Boxing Tournament Strandja 2019, hosted by European Boxing Confederation(EUBC) was held at Sofia, Bulgaria.
- Russia topped the medals tally with 9 medals (5 Gold and 4 Bronze), followed by India at 2nd rank with 7 medals (3 Gold, 1 Silver, 3 Bronze) and USA at 3rd with 8 medals (2 Gold, 1 Silver, 5 Bronze).
3. Tele-law mobile app, Nyaya Bandhu launched by Department of Justice
- On 19th February 2019, a
tele-law mobile application ‘Nyaya Bandhu’ was launched by the Union Minister for Law and Justice and IT Ravi Shankar Prasad.
- It is pro bono legal service which is designed to connect practising lawyers and the registered eligible beneficiaries in a hassle-free manner.
4. Thiruvananthapuram to host Attukal Pongala festival, world’s largest religious congregation of women
- Thiruvananthapuram in Kerala shall host the AttaukalPonkala festival-one of the largest religious gathering of women on a single day.
- The festival involves preparation of ‘Pongala’- a mixture of rice, jaggery and scraped coconut cooked in fresh earthen or metal pots
,bylakhs of women, in order to worship the presiding deity of Attukal Bhagavathy temple.
- All the offices and institutions across the city observe a holiday on this day. Attukal temple is also called ‘women’s Sabarimala’ as only women perform the ritual.
5. International Vision Zero Conference’ to promote Occupational Safety and Health inaugurated in Mumbai, Maharashtra
- a 3 day ‘International Vision Zero Conference’ was inaugurated in Mumbai, Maharashtra to promote occupational safety and health.
- The Conference was organized by Directorate General Factory Advice and Labour Institutes (DGFASLI), Ministry of Labour and Employment, German Social Accident Insurance (DGUV), Germany along with Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay and International Social Security Association – Manufacturing, Construction and Mining. It was inaugurated by Shri Heeralal Samariya, Secretary, Ministry of Labour and Employment.
6. India’s first district cooling system to be built in Amaravati,
- United Arab Emirates (UAE) based international cooling provider
, NationalCentral Cooling Company PJSC (Tabreed) entered into a 30-year concession with Andhra Pradesh Capital Region Development Authority (APCRDA) to build India’s first district cooling system in Amaravati, Hyderabad.
- The agreement is for a contracted cooling capacity of 20,000 Refrigeration Tons (
RTs) and will cater to the State’s Assembly, High Court, Secretariat and other Government buildings currently being constructed, for which cooling services will start in early 2021.
7. Infosys unveils a learning app ‘InfyTQ’ for engineering students
- Infosys, the country’s 2nd largest IT firm has launched a next generation digital platform ‘InfyTQ’ to facilitate engineering students with best learning experiences by imparting technical and professional skills.
- InfyTQ is a free platform available on both mobile and desktop, featured with always-on, anytime, anywhere learning catered through a continuous transfer of digital skills.
8. IAF carried out ‘Vayu Shakti’ exercise at Pokhran
- Indian Air Force conducted mega exercise ‘Vayu Shakti’ in Pokhran, Rajasthan. The exercise was conducted two days after 40 CRPF personnel killed in a suicide attack in Kashmir’s Pulwama.
- The exercise was carried out day and night where the IAF showcased fire power capability of indigenously developed platforms and efficacy of missiles.
9 . ‘Apna Ghar’ Project for migrant workers
- The migrant workers in Kerala will get an opportunity to move out of labour camps to their own residential accommodation “apna ghar.”
- With piped gas connections, kitchen, recreational facilities like volleyball and badminton courts, the first batch of migrant workers are set to experience home away from home under the ‘Apna Ghar’ project being launched by Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan at Kanjikode in Palakkad
10. ‘Eco Circuit: Pathanamthitta – Gavi – Vagamon – Thekkady’ project launched by K. J. Alphons in Kerala
- Union Tourism Minister, Shri K. J. Alphons, inaugurated the ‘Eco Circuit: Pathanamthitta – Gavi – Vagamon – Thekkady’ project under the Swadesh Darshan scheme of the Ministry of Tourism,at Vagamon, Kerala.
- The project was sanctioned for Rs 76.55 crores in December 2015 and major works carried out under it include Eco Adventure Tourism Park at Vagamon, Cultural Centre at Kadamanitta, Eco Log Huts at Peerumedu, Approach Roads, Walking trails, Rain Shelters at Pine Valley Forest, Thekkady, Kumily, Moozhiyar Dam, Penstock and Kakki Dam.
Entri is an award-winning online platform which helps students to prepare for various competitive examinations and keeps them updated on various exam schedules. Practice question papers and mock tests for Kerala PSC, SSC CHSL, SSC CGL, IIT JEE Mains, NEET, KEAM, and Comedk are available for students to know where they stand and prepare accordingly. Doubt forums are also made available to students to provide a platform for them to interact with experts and clear all their doubts and queries. A suitable app to help you stand out in various competitions.
Entri wishes all the candidates the very best for the upcoming examination!